Original antique copperengraving, uncoloured .
" HET ADMIRALITEIT- OF PRINSEN-HOF."
Title in Dutch under the engraving :
From : Geschiedenis der Stad Amsterdam by Jan Wagenaar in 1760.
Issued in Amsterdam in 1760 by Isaak Tirion, bookseller on the Kalverstraat near the Dam
Format engraving : 27.3 x 45 cm. ( 10,7 x 17.7 inches. )
Hotel The GRAND , Oude Zijdsvoorburgwal 197 is located in the former townhall of the city Amsterdam.
The large property where the Hotel is located in the old city goes back to the 14th century. Here were located the monasteries from
St Cecilia and St Catharina. In 1578 when the Calvinists took over and after the Alteratie the city Amsterdam owned all the property
from the former Catholic Church,. They changed the monastery in to a “guesthouse“ for high official guests, a “ Logement voor Princen
en Hooge Heeren “ In 1557 it also became a meetingroom for the Admirality of Amsterdam.
After 1647 it was not longer in use as a guesthouse and in 1656 it was totally given to the Admirality
Between 1652 and 1656 it also was used by the when the old old Townhall on the Dam was burnt down in 1652. And the new townhall
( now palace ) was not yet finished.. When the French came in 1795 in Amsterdam, the Admirality was gone.
Than they were moved to The Haque. In 1808 it became a townhall again, when the French King Louis Napoleon moved in the townhall
on the Dam, what since than is called the Royal Palace.
The building was than from 1808 untill 1988 the townhall for the Municipal government.
In 1992 Hotel The Grand was opened.