The earthenware charger decorated in the 17th century tradition in sepia with the V.O.C. sailing vessel AMSTERDAM. (Spiegelretourschip), Built in 1748 and stranded on his first voyage in 1749 on the coast of Hastings (U.K.) A replica is built in 1980 and now part of the Amsterdam Maritime Museum. The rim with stylized ornaments. Signed on the back in underglaze brown for:
DE PORCELEYNE FLES - ROYAL DELFT
DELFT - HOLLAND & CU = 1975
Painter’s initials: MVT = M. van Tol.
Employment dates: 1963 - 1988
Diam.: 35,5 cm. (14 inches.)
Weight: 1.279 grams.