Original antique lithograph.
“ OUDE ZIJDS VOORBURGWAL
De OUDE KERK - THE OLD CHURCH.”
Title in four languages under the litho.
From : Amsterdam in Schetsen door P.H. Witkamp. First book
Issued by G.W. Tielkemeyer Anno 1861 in Amsterdam..
Engraved on stone by P. Blommers after a drawing from Wim Hekking Jr.
Format litho 11,5 x 17,8 cm. 4,5 x 7 inches.)
The engraving shows the south of the Old Church on the Oude Zijds Voorburgwal from the south. De Oude Kerk ( The Old Church) was before called St. Nicolaas-kerk. From the history is known that the Old Church is the oldest church in Amsterdam and started as a cross-church. It was mentioned already in the end of the 13th century and it is known that in 1309 sermons were hold in this building. The church is consecrate for Saint Nicolas and in the later years a lot of capels were added. In 1571 the church reached his size as nowadays, but in 1566 the tower was already finished, possible built by Jan Jansz. Beeldsnijder. Famous is the organ and the tower became a carillon (Bells) from the famous bronze-caster Hemony who lived in Amsterdam. In the tower is also the oldest bell, cast in 1450.